Taco Night with @thedefineddish
We spent the evening with Alex from TheDefinedDish and learned that tacos her favorite food. She taught us that you can make tacos even fancier by turning them into a taquito. Food for Life baking tortillas were definitely the star of the show, and we packed our taquitos with delicious veggies from Imperfect Produce.
BLACK BEAN TAQUITOS AND POBLANO-AVOCADO CREMA
INGREDIENTS | POBLANO AVOCADO CREMA
3 small ripe avocados
2 cloves garlic
1/4 cup unsweetened full fat coconut milk (I use Thai Kitchens)
1/4 cup cilantro leaves
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/2 smoked paprika
Kosher salt, to taste
Black pepper to taste
- For a gas burner: Turn gas burner on medium high and char the poblano until black bubbles begin to form, about 2-3 minutes per side. Transfer to a ziplock bag and let “sweat” to soften, about 10 minutes. (if you do not have a gas burner, you can do this in your oven on ‘broil’.)
- Meanwhile, place avocado, garlic, coconut milk, cilantro, lime juice, smoked paprika, salt and pepper in a blender or food processor. When the poblano is softened, remove the seeds and stems and place in the food processor. Blend until smooth and creamy.
INGREDIENTS | BLACK BEAN + VEGGIE TAQUITOS
Olive oil, for frying the tortillas
3/4 cup diced onion
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
1 tbsp jalapeno, finely diced
1 tbsp avocado oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 can black beans (15 oz), rinsed and drained
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp oregano
1 large handful baby spinach, about 2 cups
1/2 tsp kosher salt
10 Food for Life Baking Tortillas
Avocado oil cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400.
- In a large skillet, heat avocado oil. Add the onion, red bell pepper, green bell pepper, jalapeño and garlic. Sautee for 3-5 minutes. Then, add the black beans, cumin, oregano and spinach. Cook until spinach is just wilted. Season with salt.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small saucepan, heat about 1 tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat and quickly fry 1 tortilla (about 30 seconds on each side).
- Scoop a spoonful of black bean filling onto the tortilla and roll into a taquito. Place seam side down on the baking sheet and spray tops with cooking spray.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until taquitos are golden and crispy. Serve with poblano-avocado crema. Enjoy!
- Optional: Dress with additional Primal Kitchen Dressing Options!