Zero Waste Living: Going Green with your Diet & Lifestyle by @abbysfoodcourt
Have you heard about the zero waste movement? Abby, an attorney turned dietitian, lives a very low waste lifestyle. Last week, she taught us how adopting some low waste principles into our lives naturally leads to making the healthiest choices. With all the nutrition, health, and wellness information available, it's refreshing to focus on something other than food!
Here are some tips and information Abby shared with us!
1. The average American throws out 4.4 lbs of garbage a day. Think of all those resources used to create something you tossed- uses non renewable resource (oil) to make something used 1X. By 2050, there will be more plastic in the ocean than fish.
2. You can become the healthiest version of yourself when you focus on reducing the waste you produce- help yourself & the environment
3. Zero waste defined: The art of living without creating trash. We aim to send nothing to a landfill. We reduce what we need, reuse as much as we can, send little to be recycled, and compost what we cannot.
4. 5 Rs of Zero Waste:
- Reduce (the more stuff you have, the easier it is to accumulate),
- Reuse (there was a life before disposables),
- Rot (aka compost),
5. Recycling is the last resort- only 91% of plastic is actually recycled. So much of it ends up in the oceans, harming marine life. By 2050, it's estimated there will be more plastic in the ocean than fish.
6. Abby’s NOs: no plastic bags, no plastic cutlery, no plastic straws, no plastic takeout containers, no coffee cups, no paper towels
7. She says: Assess your trash and start small. Make one change and you might just be surprised at how much fun this is!